Share on Twitter

Friday, October 8, 2010

Dear John stone.
by Valentine Kamau on Sunday, August 22, 2010 at 5:24pm


It's been 32 years. I did not have the pleasure of meeting you, seeing as you lived and died before my time. Had we met, you probably wouldn't have liked what I have to say much. Third generation after your leadership, am of the opinion that you didn't do such a stellar job but admittedly, even at your worst, you were better than most. After all, I’d sooner take off than give up my freedom for the sake of a nation. I’d run. Fast and hopefully live to write and tell my memoirs in exile.....I love my country but am not a very willing martyr-that's where you and your comrades get the props. It’s truly heroic.

My generation is too spineless for such a great, sacrificial order. We talk of revolutions in the drinking holes after dark and then gag our throats in silence after dawn. On that account, am grateful for yours and for your compatriot’s great show of bravery.
Still, I will not hold back my disappointment at your lack of tolerance and zeal for the TRUTH. (I’d be in some dark nyati dungeon 20 years ago for expressing this).
I continue to hold a grudge against you, (32) years after your demise, for you did not trust the truth to bring you to a place of light and freedom, the truth was too bitter a pill for you to swallow. Am idealist, am all for equal rights, wealth etc but the TRUTH is, we are just too capitalistic to be equal. The large tracts of land and wealth which continue to lie in the hands of the mighty, can attest to this fact. THAT IS THE HARD TRUTH!
My heart goes out to all those who dared tell all, their powerful voices forever silenced, never to be heard from again. Your successor learned fast, who would dare defy his endearing sentiments?

You Sir, You! You were too much of a coward to give progress the way. You couldn't stop the destiny of a people, but you did indeed, succeed at stifling it.

On this day i choose to scrutinize your lessons instead of judging you. It's really not fair, venting out my frustrations at you this way. The good book says time and chance happen to all men, so you are not to blame for the state of affairs in my life. I rise today to battle my demons: call it taking responsibility for my actions and all that- I’ll spare you the drama. However, should you take the opportunity to watch the apprentices you created in action, do resist from cringing in disgust at their blatantly barbaric politics-they certainly scramble to be associated with your ideals, which are then, ironically re-branded as their own. Such is your fallen legacy.

You are dearly missed.


Your truly,

Kenyan Patriot.
©2010 all rights reserved by th
e Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak and be heard.